Lori Ruff, the LinkedIn expert other LinkedIn experts learn from, joins us on this second episode of Road To TED podcast.
We start this podcast with some awkward banter between Mike and I, and then we bring in Lori for some amazing convo.
Lori Ruff is a Forbes’ Top 50 Social Media Influencer. She is a speaker, trainer and online business reputation consultant, with a 15 year career in international corporate and conference training.
We were very lucky to get such a high profile guest considering we hadn’t even launched the podcast when this interview took place.
Difference Between a TED and a TEDx Talk
Some folks may not be aware that there is a difference between these two.
The simplest way to think about it is that TED Talks are the majors, and TEDx Talks are the minors.
The main TED Conference is held annually on the North American West Coast. That’s it. One conference, 4 days, 50+ speakers, and one shared experience.
TEDx events came out of the high demand for TED talks. They are smaller, and independently organized, while at the same time, they demand same level of excellence of their speakers.
You can learn more about different types of TED initiatives here.
Lori’s practice run for her upcoming TEDx talk in January.
Lori’s favorite phrase is “great people refuse to be stopped by doubt and fear”.
Mike and I discuss things we learned in the interview.
- We turn introspective and discuss “dead space” in the interview.
- We bring up the first season of Seinfeld. You’ll have to listen to the podcast to find out what the tie-in is.
- The significance and the effect of building relationships
- We discuss Planner Tech event
- We find out that “How to Win Friends and Influence People” doesn’t work on 12 year olds
- Ted Rubin’s Return on Relationships book comes up in the post interview. I share a story of RonR with a direct ROI from just being nice.
- Lori chooses an unexpected favorite TED talk. Unexpected why? You’ll have to listen to the post interview to find out.
What did you learn from Lori?
Lori’s Favorite TED Talk
Lesley Hazleton: The doubt essential to faith.
No (wo)man is an island.
Lori has a number of people that are helping her on her Road To TED.
Connect with Lori
- Connect with Lori on LinkedIn
- Follow Lori Ruff on Twitter
- Check out Lori’s blog
- TV- ready LinkedIn training (Free) by Mike and Lori